Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mad for Muffins


I love the ease of grabbing something quick for breakfast in the mornings. Something portable, something you can eat on the go and not have to thin too much about it.

That is where my love of muffins fits in to the equation. Since the Mr. and I are always looking for ways to eat healthier, I wanted to make up a batch using some brand new whole wheat flour my parents bought in the Amish country.

I found three different variations of Apple Spice muffins... a little from this one, a pinch from that one, and we have....

Spiced Applesauce Muffins:

Ingredients-
-3/4 c. Whole Wheat flour
-3/4 c. All Purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
-1 tsp. Cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
-1/4 tsp. Allspice
-Pinch of salt
-3/4 c. Packed Brown sugar
-2 eggs
-4 Tbsp. butter, melted (I used Country Crock sticks)
-1/3 c. Vanilla yogurt
-1 c. Cinnamon applesauce (or whatever kind you have on hand)

Process-
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Prepare muffin tin with cooking spray or cupcake liners.
-Mix together dry ingredients, except sugar, in medium bowl.
-Whisk eggs, brown sugar and yogurt in separate bowl.
-Slowly stir in melted butter (cooled) until mixture is creamy, then add applesauce.
-Slowly add dry ingredient mixture to wet. Fold until just moistened.
-pour batter into muffin tins, about 2/3 full.

Topping-
-3 Tbsp. Brown sugar
-1 tsp. Cinnamon

-Mix together and sprinkle topping over uncooked muffins.
-Bake for 20-22 minutes. Tops of muffins should be golden ans toothpick inserted to top should come out clean.
-Transfer to wire rack and allow to cool completely.

Cheers!
MM

1 comment:

  1. Do you think I could make these and freeze some? So that they don't go back and I could defrost what we want to eat for a certain week. I also like the idea of breakfast on the go, and have been looking for breakfast ideas.

    ReplyDelete